Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Late Night Floor Walkin'

Last night was a pretty rough night at our house. After a virus scare, we were up later than we should have been, trying to make sure our computer was secure; then we got into a TV show and ended up staying up til midnight. It wouldn't have been so bad; we still had the potential to get a pretty decent night's sleep. Jacob, however, had other plans.

That poor kid. I don't know what his deal is. He's been having a hard time getting to sleep and staying asleep the last few nights. I'm keeping an eye out for potential problems--teething, ear infection, etc. Of course, the last time he got into a pattern like this we found out he had bronchitus. I've gone three full days now without giving him any breathing treatments. He's done okay so far, but now with the sleep problems I'm on alert. I keep checking for a rattle or wheeze in his lungs, and a persistent cough would be another big clue. Jonathan seems to be coming down with a cold or allergy attack, so that has me on high alert too. (What am I, paranoid?)

I'm beginning to understand what my parents went through with me when I was a child. Jonathan's newest addiction is to the VeggieTales movies. We only have three of them at the moment, and that boy will watch all three of them three or four times a day! (Thank goodness the movies are only about 40 minutes long!) When I was about nine, I went through a phase where I would watch The Ten Commandments every single day--at least once, sometimes twice, depending on when I started the movie. (That's a 3 and a half-hour-long movie.) I did the math and figured that if Jonathan were to watch "Moe and the Big Exit" (the Veggie's version of Ten Commandments) at least five times a day, that would be the equivalent of one viewing of my movie. I pointed this out to my mother the other day, and she got a pretty good laugh out of it. :) The most he's watched "Moe..." so far has been four times in one day, but he's getting close! (Like mother, like son.)

I felt around Jacob's gumline yesterday, and it feels like he may have another tooth trying to come through (which I'm hoping is the reason for this disruption in his routine)--this one on the bottom! Yea! He needs more bottom teeth; the top teeth way outnumber the bottom! I've been cranking out the teething tablets and Motrin. Maybe somehow he'll find a little comfort soon. Maybe then our routine can get back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment